Green Summer Salad
1 ripe avocado
2/3 cup tahini
¼ bunch fresh mint
1 lime, juice of
½ bunch of fresh basil
½ bunch of fresh tarragon
½ clove garlic
Pinch of salt
Olive oil – add until you’ve achieved the desired consistency.
Mixed salad greens
Beets (thinly sliced)
Carrots (peeled into strips)
A salad dressing that highlights the flavours of summer.
August is one of my favourite months for the fresh produce available at the farmer’s market. The stalls are lined with summer squash, bundles of greens, vibrant beets, juicy tomatoes, and an abundance of herbs.
It’s also the time of year where I find myself craving salads – the perfect meal to showcase the delicious local produce and to enjoy on a warm summer day. This dressing has become one of my favourites. It’s creamy, flavourful and accentuates the flavours of summer.
You can add whatever fresh veggies you prefer to your salad. Be creative with what you have.
I hope you enjoy the last of these warm summer days, and the wonderful local produce!
Makes approximately 2 cups of dressing
- Add the avocado, tahini, mint, tarragon, basil, garlic clove, lime juice, salt and ½ cup of olive oil to a high powered blender. Blend on high.
- Continue to add olive oil until you’ve achieved the desired consistency.
- Toss your greens in the dressing, until they are evenly coated.
- Add your other vegetables (i.e. beets, tomatoes, carrots) on the top of the salad.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Serve and enjoy! You can store the dressing in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
Further ideas and modifications
- Grilled chicken or salmon pairs well with this salad!
The flavours and aroma of rhubarb and Nootka rose are welcome signs of spring. In this recipe, we use a cashew tart as a base to allow these flavours to really shine.
These veggie burgers are my favourite. Packed full of flavour, fibre and protein, they are the perfect patio meal, for those warm summer evenings.